Thursday, October 10, 2013
Sheena's Creamy Tomato Soup
Creamy Tomato Soup
3 Tbsp butter
1lb 9oz ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
3-3/4 C vegetable or chicken stock
2/3 C milk or cream (I use heavy cream)
1/4 C ground almonds
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp shredded basil leaves
Salt & pepper
1. Melt butter in a large sauce pan. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 min. until the skins start to wrinkle. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Add the stock, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 min.
3. Meanwhile, mix the almonds and sugar together. Lightly toast almonds until they are golden-brown (I do this in a small pan on the stove. Watch them carefully, they brown fast).
4. Add almonds to soup. Remove soup from heat and blend in a food processor, blender, or mash with a potato masher.
5. Pass the soup through a sieve to remove any tomato skin or pips (I skip this step. My blender is strong enough to puree it all)
6. Place the soup in the pan and return to the heat. Stir in the milk or cream. Warm the soup through and add the shredded basil just before serving.